Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Top 25 Memories of my Big Mama



My "Big Mama" was my maternal grandmother. I am named after her and my mama. The third. That's me. Again, here are my top memories in random order.

1. Her voice's natural vibrato (and her needlepoint!)

2. When she played the piano and organ and I sang with her

3. Her last Christmas spent at my house and the way she enjoyed my cooking

4. Holding her hand as she was dying

5. Shopping for "pocketbooks"

6. Our last Christmas shopping trip when she sent me to buy a tablecloth for my mama

7. The way she clapped her hands together just before she said something spectacular

8. Her laugh

9. The time she covered herself in a white sheet and sat on the porch at Halloween

10. The way she bought me things and said, "don't tell anyone"

11. The time she loaned me $250 when I couldn't pay my bills and wouldn't let me pay her back

12. The way she ate slowly -- just like I used to

13. The way she kept a tissue neatly folded under her watchband on her wrist

14. The time my college friends and I dropped in on her unexpectedly and she was watching the World Series and all my "guy friends" thought she was the coolest grandmother ever

15. All the times I said, I love you Big Mama and she said, " I love you too WFW"

16. Seeing her go to bed in her hairnet

17. Her gorgeous always polished and perfectly manicured nails

18. All the times she accurately guessed her presents before opening them

19. The way her eyes crinkled when she smiled and laughed

20. Her one grey eye and her one hazelish/green eye

21. All the times she wore orchid corsages

22. She had this cute little habit of saying "meow" to me. I've inherited this.

23. The way she drove her big car with a pistol in a cigar box underneath the seat

24. The way she read the entire Bible every single year

25. Knowing she really loved me the best. Everyone needs to feel that kind of love.

This list made me cry (in a nice way) to compile it. I loved my Big Mama. I miss her every day of my life. I challenge you to think of someone living or gone and make your own list. Who would you choose? How many memories would you have?

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Heather B said...

Love, Love, LOVE this post ... mainly because I have a Mama I miss as well.

I am so going to borrow a few of these and send my blogger pals your way ... I know they will adore your site as much as I do :)

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, thanks for your post. Help yourself - no need to return them. I appreciate the "pals" too. So glad you enjoy my site. Gosh, you made my day! Already! Thanks!

8:02 AM  
Blogger CozyMama said...

i love Brittany M, she is a doll. That is why I came over, to see who was using her as a avatar/profile pic. :) Cool that you look like her. I have been told that I look like Meg Ryan and Cybil Sheppard in her young days. A windfall, that would be nice, I hope it was a good one.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I read your 25 memories of Big Mama, I felt that you expressed both your souls. I now understand that life means more to you than mere biology.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh the pressure is up ..peep 2885 has clothes and is a looker ,dear

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see this is quickly becomming a woman thing,I approve and like it!!!!!!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a nice piece. But did she really call you WFW?

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a nice piece. But did she really call you WFW?

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a touching post. Thank you for sharing your memories of "Big Mama" with us.

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

8 a.m. saturday click click click ,the brink of disaster avoided back to 21%

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey people lets keep this lovely woman on top keep clicking

9:30 AM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I just love this 25 theme you have going here. I was behind on the blog reading and I just got caught up on your Heroes and things You do Well.
This post was very touching. I just loved it. Beautiful memories of Big Mama. Thank you for sharing them.
*looks up (I think snake has a stutter)
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodes, thanks for stopping by. Since you look like Meg and Cybill, you may have your windfall right there!

Rogue, thank you. Your comment touched my heart.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephen, darn! Competition huh??? Yeah....I see her. At least she has clothes on. Thanks for clicking me.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snake, somehow your comment showed up several times. No, she did NOT call me WFW. She called me Windfall Woman. LOL.....

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FW, I'm glad you were touched. She was a special woman.

Stephen, thank you AGAIN for all the clicks!

Raggedy, I know what you mean about catching up. I appreciate you doing it here!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker