Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Season of Miracles


Tis the season for miracles. Yesterday, a friend of mine called me quite shaken. He had witnessed a teenager crossing a busy road to school and being hit by a car going quickly. He watched her body fly in the air and crash. The police crossing guard told all to pray for her as they waited for a life flight helicopter. As my friend talked, I searched his city's television news website. Behold, the accident was listed; but the teenage girl did not have life threatening injuries. She had a broken leg! Surely God's hand was at work.

When I was a teenager, I was driving with my mother and grandmother in the car along a narrow two lane road. A man was mowing a thin patch of land as we approaching in our car. Suddenly, the lawnmower slipped from his hands and careened directly in my path. There was no time to react. I braced myself for the crash, and miraculously, there was none. I looked in the rear view mirror and the lawnmower was on the other side of the street. It literally would have had to pass through my car. The man was staring at the back of my car. What happened? I believe it was a miracle -- the hand of angel?

I believe. Truly I do. Do you?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Lois Lane said...

Amazing! I'm so thankful she wasn't hurt badly. He sure does some fancy work.
I hope this time of year brings many more miracles your way.

1:19 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

I'm glad she was okay. I was once driving at night and saw a car coming toward me in my lane. It went down into a dip in the road and then it was behind me.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Absolutely. I always believe. Even when things don't go the way I want them to, I have to believe that there is a reason.
Merry, Merry!

6:27 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

strange things happen quite often.
I believe in God knowing just where we are and what we are doing every second of our lives. I am alive after several weird accidents because of my Mother's prayers. God is so good!

10:36 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Nope. I don't believe. I have been faking it all this time.

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was 10, I saw a friend get hit by a car at high speed. He too flew through the air and landed like a heap of rags. He too came out of it basically fine, apart from a broken leg.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello WFW! Thanks for stopping in - long time no chat. I replied to your comment in my own comments section, but wanted to tell you that absolutely we celebrate Christmas! Love this time of year and want my children to learn the history behind it, including the story of the Nativity. We may not believe in a deity, but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate the spirit of the season.

And any and all holiday greetings are cheerfully accepted. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For every person that makes it out lucky like that, I wonder how many don't make it, as in my story. I have a hard time reconciling the involvement of God in something like that. One can't help but question why God would protect one seemingly good person but not another? Why was the girl I saw lying under a white blanket, dead in the middle of the street, any worse than the girl your friend saw leaving with a broken leg? Does God make value judgments?

The very nature of God and his "unknowability" makes it easy to excuse everything that happens as divine will, part of some master plan. And maybe it is, but then God only know that master plan because our time here is too short to see the whole picture.

I believe in God, but more as a being that created the universe and doesn't play a role in its everyday existence. More of a deist perspective than anything else, if only because I look at things like the Holocaust and I can't accept that it's part of fate and needed to happen for some reason. Of course everything can somehow be rationalized, but at a certain point you can't say "well, look here, if this didn't happen than this wouldn't have happened."

Maybe this is just me being a silly mortal that can't possibly fathom the greatness of God, but I've wondered about that too. If God made us (or at least initiated the process of evolution that He knew would eventually lead to us), then he also knew we would be inherently rational beings. If that's true, than how can he expect us to believe in the seeming irrationality in most of the things he does and most of the things we're expected to do for him? I've wondered that before, but because I am inherently rational (or try to be), I don't really understand how God works, if he works with us on a daily basis.

I would love to believe that God is more than just a clock-maker chilling on the sidelines, watching us fuck up. I wish there was a real, rational rhyme and reason to everything. And maybe, strecthed out on a long enough timelines, there is, and we can follow the entire story of humanity like one line leading to an ultimate, definitive, and pre-determined end. But it sure is hard having these few moments of life, seeing what we see, and still investing our faith in the belief that God controls or has preordained every earthly occurrence.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is incredible. Amazing how things like that happen. You definitely have a guardian angel.

Wow.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker