Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, December 08, 2006

Memories (not Streisand either)



I've been on a quiet campaign at my house of cleaning. You can hire wonderful people to "hit the high spots," but getting someone to stand on top of a chair and clean the tippy top of your oven near the ceiling? I don't think so. I was daydreaming in my kitchen as I put away clean dishes and looked up at my soup toureen I display. It was dusty, so I hauled it down to wash it.

You probably know someone who has a piece or two of this pattern - Franciscan Desert Rose. It was my grandmother's. My grandmother, my namesake, had just about every piece imaginable. That is, she had every piece except the soup toureen. We happened to be talking about her "missing piece" one year, and I resolved to complete her collection. I went to Macy's and got the last one. Because it was so expensive, I got gift wrapping for free. I was so excited on Christmas morning to see her open it. She could always guess EVERY present. Everyone wanted her to guess this time, but she couldn't. When she saw it, her mouth opened so wide and she smiled with her whole face. I love that memory. Don't you wish every gift you gave brought so much happiness? I'd love to hear about your successes!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger momzilla said...

It wasn't a gift that I gave, it was one that I received. When my Dad was dying, he knew that he would not be around for this past Christmas, so he arranged for all his "girls" and his grandchildren to get a gift from him for Christmas. We all opened the envelopes at the same time. You could have heard a pin drop. Inside the card was a personal note to each of us from him. I still have it in a very special place...V

12:58 PM  
Blogger Lauri said...

I have a similar story, similar to momzilla's. When my dad was alive, he didn't make much money and was self employed most of his adult life. He didn't have a huge life insurance policy, and my parents didn't have savings. When my dad died in September, there was no question as to "where" the life insurance money should go. It wasn't alot, but my mom needed it more than anything. There was no arguing or fighting over his things - all the "things" he left behind were wonderful, intangible memories and feelings of love. Anyway, that Christmas, as we all opened our gifts, my mom handed each of us an envelope, and in it was some money that she'd set aside for each of us to have "from Dad".

At the time, he'd been gone only a few months and it was certainly heart wrenching. But it was the most memorable gift. Not because it was money, but because, in some really odd way, it made us feel like he was there with us that day, in more than spirit.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always loved that pattern. My high school/college/20s sweetheart's mom had it and I loved her dearly. That was very sweet of you.

11:30 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

WAIT! your grandmother was named Windfall woman also?? I am so confused....
You are a great gift giver, and a blessing to those you meet.
God is at work in you.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker