Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Stress, Work and Windfalls

Hey ya'll! I made it through the week. This time of year is pretty busy for me as I'm involved in several charitable organizations that have events during the Spring. One thing is that I coordinate the Girl Scout Leader/Daughter dinner this month for around 200 moms, daughters and leaders. Did I ever mention that I began my career as an event planner? I love planning parties. Speaking of parties, I had a rather impromptu one last night. I cooked a huge spot of spaghetti and had some special friends over. No, it wasn't homemade sauce either. I did try Ragu's new Traditional Organic sauce, and it was fantastic! It's not nearly as acidic and has a gentler flavor. Yesterday for lunch, I went to my second lunch with my former sorority sisters. My roommate from college was there, and she gave me the very nicest hug. I was so glad to see her! We sat outside away from the sun. It was quite lovely. Today I have to work on a "work project." And that brings me to so many of your comments talking about quitting work and windfalls. During that first "windfall week," I was pretty sure I was going to quit! Luckily, I have so many attorneys and doomsayers (not to say all attorneys are doomsayers) and accountants in my life that I was advised not to go public with the news. Once I saw the TAXES, I was shocked. My attorney and accountant sat down and had a heart to heart talk with me. "WFW," they said, "You've worked hard all your life - since you were 12. Do you REALLY think that you could quit now?" I pondered that. Encouraged by my lack of response, they went further. "You work from home; you don't have to get dressed and clock in. You're in the ultimate flexibility being in sales. You don't HAVE to travel much and where you do go is pretty interesting. You have lots of tenure so you have lots of vacation. AND, this year, you stand to make a half a million dollars." Good Lord! I realized everything they said was correct. What on earth am I going to do by myself during the day ALL the time? Besides, I am a people person. I love being alone, but I truly thrive on adrenaline, challenge and work. While I am still active, I want to make the most of it. So........that's the scoop!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger David Edward said...

naysayer here, checking in to quiz you again, do you take all your vacation time? or like my brother, bank it and work too hard, too long too much.

Sweetie if a half million dollars ever got near me I would be in the ocean in a sailboat headed for Vanuatu.

tell the secret shopper guy to shut up!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi WFW. You might Turn on word verification from the Blogger Dashboard to help prevent comment spam. --a

11:19 AM  
Blogger ardi k said...

Good for you, WFW! I like your style. You are blessed in many ways.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Old Baldy's perspective you made the right decision. Judging from your "posts" you seem like the type of person who needs challenges and activity. I'm sure the half million may not add appreciably to your windfall but it sure is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Anywho have a great day! Old Baldy

1:54 PM  
Blogger phoenix said...

They say that 95% of lottery winners end up broke and in the poorhouse within 5 years. They get carried away with spending and not with playing it smart. I think you are doing the right thing. There will be plenty of time to do what you want soon enough, life passes us by fast enough already!

Just think... by the time you are ready to retire, you will have enough money to go where ever you want. ;-)

2:20 PM  
Blogger The Neurotic Worrywart said...

Reading that made me feel all inspired. I'd be more than satisfied if my life were anything like yours, w/o the windfall. I especially love the way you dealt with the windfall, the attitude you adopted. It sounds like you really enjoy your life and hopefully, one day I will too =) Meanwhile, cheers to you living a great life!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Lauri said...

WFW, does your company have a post in Dallas?

8:16 AM  
Blogger Cornbread said...

Windfall, I just got back to town for a early nite since the last few days and have been catching up on blogs. It is good to hear you in high spirits. I check you every time I am on the computer. Your blog is one of my regular stops. When you are down, a little piece of me is down. When you are up a litle piece of me is up. Though you and I are totally different people in so many ways, Your blog brightens my day.

If I had alot of money I could actually take a vacation from life and do what I want to. Hell I ain't got a lot of money and I am already doin' that. You have to do what is right for windfall, and I think your freinds have given you good advice. Stagnation just isn't in the windfall makeup. Dynamic adhesion to positive values is.

You go girl and here's a big cheer from the Cornbread corner!

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insights on the windfall lifestyle and "workstyle." I had no idea you worked from home. I work from home too but we are clearly in different lines of work.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Flubberwinkle said...

Working although in windfall mode sounds like a good down-to-earth idea. It's not just about making more money, it's about having a productive outlet, somewhere to vent your work adrenaline. Who knows? Maybe with the windfall you can start your own event-planning company? Can I be in charge of catering? *yummy*

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zardoz says ?

hey ww ,,,

couldnt get here for quite some time,, your thing-a-magik
kept throwing me out....
didnt know that if you had money
you could rent an internet bouncer.


=== O . K .

JOKING ASIDE
still pondering the same old questions,,,huh,,???
girl do something about it ,,
travel ,,,perhaps ,,,,,
but because youre original.!
you dont have to be repetitious...

== Z ==

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a automobile insurance auctions
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker