Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, February 06, 2006

Monday's Windfall Moment

Today's moment is not something I did. My Girl Scout troop decorated empty white bags with markers and crayons for a charity here that delivers food to shut-ins for example, the elderly, AIDS patients, mainly terminal cases. They were not allowed to use any religious symbols nor to say "Get Well Soon."

I watched as these girls - who had 500 bags to try to finish - colored their hearts out. They finished 325. They came up with sayings like, "Have a doggone good day" complete with dog bones and dogs. And "everyone's royalty." And "You are Special to Someone." Honestly, I had to turn my head away several times looking at these bags decorated with so much love.

There was one scout in particular - I've written about her before - Belle. She was very upset that they did not finish all of the bags. She asked me if she could take some home to finish. She was the only one who did this. Her mother told me that she colored and colored all afternoon. Finally, she broke down and cried last night from frustration at not finishing and her pictures not being perfect. That effort is a windfall moment.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Lauri said...

Sweet Belle.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very touching event. The world needs more like her. Old Baldy

5:55 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

You helped to teach all of them a great lesson in selflessness and helping others, while allowing them to use and explore their creativity! Bravo!

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time perhaps you'l get those girls to write bumper stickers.

9:38 AM  
Blogger David said...

I have always stated that I think scouts are one of the best things kids can enter. It teaches them so much and this is just another example. Thank you for taking time to be with those girls. It will serve them well in their later years.

11:02 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

I am the dark mind, sifting for the cloud under the silver lining. does anyone else worry about the behavior described? I think Girls tgis age shoudl enjoy the funa ctivities and not lose it in thinking " they all have to get done" Just my two cents.

12:05 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

sorry for the typos, im using my toes to type this, being a dual amputee

12:08 PM  
Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Touching.

4:32 PM  
Blogger The Neurotic Worrywart said...

Such a sweet girl. Just reading that is bound to make anyone's day

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker