Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, January 29, 2006

ABC News anchor Bob Woodruff and Doug Vogt, Camerman Injured


ABC News anchor Bob Woodruff and a Doug Vogt, cameraman, were seriously injured Sunday in an explosion while reporting from Iraq, the network said Sunday. They were hit by an improvised explosive device near Taji, Iraq while embedded with the 4th Infantry Division and traveling with an Iraqi mechanized vehicle. Both sustained head injuries; both are in serious condition.

This war needs to stop. Not just when famous people are hurt. What are we gaining over there? And what we are gaining - is it worth what we are paying? I've served as a Soldier's Angel for awhile now. My lady soldier has had two tours of duty in Iraq, and she is a single parent. She had to leave her baby daughter with her godparents. Thank God she has made it back home to Fort Bragg safely.

As a soldier's angel, I read about wonderful things our soldiers have done to help -- education, food, clothing, etc. I also read of the frustration in witnessing the plight of women and even the young girls. I don't know that we are going to be able to change that culture.

I believe we HAVE to support our soldiers over there. But I don't have to support the people who put them in harm's way. Why not go do the State of the Union address in Taji on in a mechanized vehicle? I'd tune in to see that.

11 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

This whole war is a travesty. Bob Woodruff is just getting started in what could have been the high point of his career. I pray he will live, undamaged, and able to report again. We should not be there, the news media should not be there. You are right about the State of the Union address; I'd like to see Bush, Rumsfeld and the rest over there to do it!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Grey Biker said...

I just read about that. That is really bad but you are right they know what they are getting into. Same goes for the contractors over there trying to make big money tax free.

10:25 AM  
Blogger David said...

They understood the dangers of being with the troops. Yes I grieve each and every loss, but I think most people look at that only and not look at what will be. I want the troops home, but I do not want them home before the job is done - and that includes the installation of a stable governement that can tackle the needs of that country. I do not want to see another Viet Nam - pull out before the job is done and let the terrorists take control. If we do, then 2000 lives have been lost in vain.

God Bless our Troops.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

For once, I kinda disagree with you. But I totally respect your opinion. :)
I think we pulled out too early the first time. The monster withered and then grew stronger. I agree with David. We needed to stop them before more countries are taken over and more people are killed. Our guys are slowly stopping the genocide, they've stopped a Tyrant, and have stopped other terroristic activities. It's a slow process and some of our guys will die and have died. I think the peaceful outcome in the long run will be worth it.
~Widow and daughter of a veteran, friend to many still there.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with just about everything you said except the very last point. I can't stand watching Bush anywhere & couldn't bear see him pulling some publicity stunt in Iraq where both Americans & Iraqis are dying.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I hate to be a cynic, but I see it getting way worse before it gets better.

Iran has a president who has called for the destruction of Israel and Iran wants to develop nuclear capability.

It looks like the job over there is just starting.

The only good news is that with the free elections in Iraq and Palestine, maybe some people in Iran will thirst for democracy and do part of the job for us.

(I don't think that it will play out that way, however...)

4:00 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

im reserving my comment for a later time

5:23 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Thanks for the comment on my Blog. (and the encouragement!)
My opinions are a bit biased by my background.
Thanks for being so cool about it!
:)

9:37 PM  
Blogger ardi k said...

You're pretty much right on in my book, wfw. Thanks for standing up.
-a of Share Tree

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Iraq thing ain't no Vietnam. Vietnam did not have all these tribal and religious differences. There will never be a workable government in Iraq. We went there (supposedly) to destroy the WMD. It was never thought through by Bush and his advisors. We are in a quagmire - let's face it. We are not trained to fight this type of war - it is really an insurgency - not a war. If it were a war it would be over. Our troops are the best in the war in fighting wars. Wolfowitz (or whatever), Perle, Rice, and Cheney got us into this and none of them ever served a day in the military. No one should play a role in committing troops if they don't know what it is like. We have upset the stability in the region. Sadam kept Iran in check - now there is no one to do that. What the heck is our mission over there??? Would someone please tell me??? If anyone knows I sure wish they would share it with me. Sorry for the diatribe. I need to get back to gathering eggs. Old Baldy

11:33 AM  
Blogger Dean said...

Our "mission" is greed and naked power. We shall never succeed in "installing" a democracy which we do not possess. It was wrong at the beginning, and it is wrong now. Has anyone who favored this war counted the cost in lives, physical well-being, and dollars? Not just our own? One cannot help being shocked if ke does.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker