Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Sound of Music


What does this image bring to your mind? I hear that soundtrack beginning, my heart soars. Without a doubt, it is my favorite movie of all time. As a little girl, I used to stand in my yard and pretend I was Julie Andrews/Maria Von Trapp. I would twirl just as she did at the start and sing and imagine those majestic mountains surrounding me.

I have a secret. I wear a ring Julie Andrews used to own. My mother found it at an estate sale with authentication papers. It is platinum band with seven tiny diamonds in a line. It is one of my most treasured material possessions. A few weeks ago, I lost it; and I was very very depressed. I rarely ever take it off. You probably know that Julie Andrews has lost that unbelievably gorgeous voice due to a surgical mishap to remove nodules on her vocal chords. I think it is one of the greatest personal tragedies -- for such a beautiful voice to be silenced. And yet, she has not been silenced. She continues to act in select movies and sing in a limited range. She has triumphed over her own personal adversity with dignity and grace. And that.....that is the standard I aspire to achieve.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a powerful image. I've recently had the pleasure of seeing the movie with my young girls, and we've been singing songs from it ever since.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

ohh... really hope the ring shows up soon. It just may surprise you and show itself just when you need it most.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Flubberwinkle said...

I'm a Sound of Music fan too!
One of my first albums- that I managed to buy as a kid- with my own allowance was the original soundtrack LP.
While other kids played KISS full-blast, I was acting out Maria Von Trapp:
"When the dog barks,
when the bee stings,
when I'm feeling sad.
I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel soooooooooooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!" [director's cue: here I grab the drapes as an idea flashes to mind... I just found out how to make new playclothes for the children].

Oops, I got carried away!

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yesterday I was in a traffic jam of sorts and this car next to me had on loud rap music. I sure wish it been the Sound of Music score or Josh Groban or similar. Oh well, you date yourself somewhat windfall woman. No problem, I still have my Eisenhower jacket I got in the Army. As long as I wake every morning - life is good. I really wish I could say the same for over 2,000 u.s. military who died in Iraq. Old Baldy

1:22 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Hope you find that ring soon.

4:40 PM  
Blogger ardi k said...

Thank you for the images and memories. Also the class that is becoming more rare (therefore valuable)in the world today. It still exists in people like you.

-a
at River-Tree Whispers.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

did you try the pipes under your sinks? Found a ring that way and I don't even remember taking it off, must of come off while I was washing my hands. Also try under your bed, you never know what you can do in your sleep.
Hope you find it, love that movie. I taught "Do a deer" to Ari already.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that movie. There is one scene that is my personal favorite,, when they are in the gazebo and they sing to each other about "must have done something good". . . that is how my life has felt and that song has been running through my head for the last two weeks.

Those are great aspirations and I will pray that your ring shows back up in your life.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the most part I am not necessarily a fan of musicals, but one can not dislike this movie. My very first "real" date (that I actually picked a girl up at her home and met her parents) was to see this movie on opening night in Chicago. That was the only "opening" of a movie I have ever attended. The night, the movie and the date were most memorable.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker