Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, November 11, 2005

The Interruption of Everything


Oprah's show yesterday was centered around Terry McMillan and Johnathan Plummer. Don't know who they are? She's the author who based her book How Stella Got Her Groove Back in publishing the "intimate details of her own island romance with a man 23 years her junior." Basically, the 43-year-old Terry was on vacation in Jamaica met 20-year-old Jonathan Plummer. They experienced "five passion-filled days, the vacation ended and Terry flew back to California. " Not long thereafter, they were married. She makes millions on her book and movie. Doesn't this sound like a happy ending?

Ummm. Not quite. Johnathan finds out he is gay. They spar on dueling morning shows with the revelation. They divorce. They end up on Oprah talking about it. She's written a new book - The Interruption of Everything.

I have nothing against gay people. Really, as long as someone is not hurting anyone else (especially a child), I'm like "have at it." I could CARE less - paint yourself green if you want, worship trees, WHATEVER.....Don't expect ME to participate but knock yourself out!

BUT....if Windfall Woman ends up like Stella/Terry.......don't expect to see me on Oprah talking about it. I'll be in the fetal position in my bedroom with pints of Haagen Daaz beside me in my jammies.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get people who talk about intimate aspects of their personal lives that way in public, as if their lives are part of the entertainment. This is different, of course, from people who write blogs. (I'm not sure why it's different but, trust me, it is.)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Lauri said...

That's a good point, Snake. The viewing population is a little larger on TV, but still an interesting point.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snake, I so agree. I think blogging is different, because we don't put out the most intimate details of our lives out here. We only show what we want to in the blogosphere.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lauri, thanks for the comment. Good to see you!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People put their personal details out because other people want to hear them and in return the people putting the details out there get free publicity and visibility. If this were not the case Oprah would not book them and the media would not report on them... in the end it's all about what sells!!!!!
In addition I am sure that this type of exhibitionism fulfills some primal need for both the exhibitioner and the observer(though for the life of me I am not sure what it is)

11:04 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

another example of how TV and oprah ( who has done many good things) has let down the viewer. if they raised the bar a teeny bit, people would still watch. sure write your book, stella, but the movie, oh puh-leez!
I hope my life story makes people laugh and cry, not just shake their heads in wonderment - as in what the heck was he thinking??

11:25 AM  
Blogger D said...

"Worship trees"? Now that's funny.

I also liked the visual - fetal positon, ice cream, pjs. I have a clear picture in my head of that level of devastation. We've all been there.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stacy, you can say that again! Anonymous, you're right; you could almost say many of us are voyeurs. David, what I know of your life story is already very moving. D, you can tell I've been there, right? Because it is soooo true..

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever since the "Runaway Bride" event, I look at this with a slight feeling of scam - from the get go. Could it be that the affair and subsequent marriage were "arranged" in lieu of a book deal? Which would make his coming out of the closet and their divorce instant fodder to another book. Are the splitting the royalties?
Don't forget there are many who think Oprah's "relationship" with Stedman was and is a smokescreen for her own sexual persuasion.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Ari said...

He "finds out" he's gay?!? I'm sorry, I just don't get this. How can someone have "wild and passionate sex" for five days, marry someone, and "find out" he's gay... Makes no sense. That's like me "finding out" I'm a Catholic, religious nut... (I'm not, but you get the point).

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker