Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, November 04, 2005

What IS a Windfall Lifestyle?

Yesterday I posted another of my poems. Yes, it was about me. Yes, it was pretty intense. Yes, it was pretty personal. Someone quite insightfully said, "this doesn't strike me as the windfall lifestyle." I have to say - I felt somewhat punched in the stomach at first. (Remember I wrote in "102 Things About Me" that I am very sensitive.) I began to reflect over the comment seriously. Am I living a windfall lifestyle? What IS a windfall lifestyle?

I started this blog after being fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of a tremendous, and I do mean TREMENDOUS windfall. You can't imagine how much paperwork was involved in the beginning - and all the stuff I hate. Accountants and attorneys! Now, I LIKE these PEOPLE but I hate what they do. Boy, do I hate paying taxes. I could so understand why Elvis' theory was just to give 50% of everything to the government so he would never get in trouble with taxes. I had to wait for all that dust to settle. I signed and signed and signed. Checks, checks, checks.

Of course, I set up some trust funds. I set up some "extra" retirement accounts. Set up some tax shelters. Then it was done. For awhile.

What have I done in the ensuing months? Paid off all my bills. Hired the landscaper for the yard (it's looking good but we are headed for winter). Hired a decorator for house. Bought a park bench bed and ummm returned it before it got here. I did buy a new car - a cute Highlander and it does have all the trimmings (I have a moon roof for the first time in my life)! I got my house professionally decorated for Halloween and gave out drinks AND candy and well, $10 gold coins. Because I don't HAVE to have my job, I have the peace of mind to tell my boss I went to Target before coming to work. LOL....more to come.

11 Comments:

Blogger David Edward said...

I would be so happy if you were one of the few whose windfall did not change you, did not adversely affect your relations with friends and family, and did not cause you to lose track of what is good and right and true. You have a small segment of the world watching you to see how you pull this off ( as long as you chose to post),
so make us proud of you!

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Windfall -- Sorry I sure didn't mean to punch you in the stomach. The fact is, I've never received much in the way of windfalls before (though I found a $20 bill once, which made my day), so I really have no clue as to what it's all about. Consider my comment more of a question; I never meant it to be a "punch."

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lilly, thanks for that affirmation. You are absolutely correct; I'm trying to find my way much as I suspect we all are. David, you're right; I don't have word verification because I can barely manage it myself. I only get a few spam emails and I like to make it easy for you guys to come visit me. I'm counting on all of you to keep me straight if I start buying 14K water fixtures. Don't let me "get stupid." Snake, I know you didn't mean anything by your comment. It was a great question, and see, it made fodder for today's entry. You brought me right back to my original point of the blog which is to feel my way through this windfall with as much grace and dignity as possible. Thanks for that and for all of you reading!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

When my husband died, I had a small amount of life insurence come to me.
For 2 years I didn't have to worry about bills, set up my daughter's college account, and replaced my piece of crap car. The money wasn't much so it ran out. As a struggling student now, I'm actually much happier, of course my circumstances were different.

The reason I ran out of money is because I refused to move in with my rich in-laws and live under their dominion. And I chose to stay home with my daughter for her first 2 years of life instead of working.

My point is money isn't everything, it can't buy you love, and even the rich can be lonely and have problems.

11:00 AM  
Blogger John said...

If I were only young enough to trick or treat [or bold enough at the age of 21] to go knocking on your door. Good job at spreading the wealth. You'd be even better at spreading the wealth if you dropped a coin in my bucket. Just saying...

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Windfall (or is it Win fall) woman - how about spreading more of that windfall around - at least some my way. If you do - I promise not to tell the world about it - thus prevent copycats. I make my living fishing and right now things are not so good. That's one reason I have the time to go "blogging." My boat has a small leak, fuel is too expensive and to beat all - now they have a quota limit on us. I have a college degree - which I paid for myself but don't consider myself much of a college graduate type. Never tryed the corporate world because couldn't get a darn job. What good is a college degree anyway? I've been asking myself that one for some time. I like reading about you 'cause I have this big dream that someday it may happen to me too. Guess I need to develop a plan for that one.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

I think you're courageous in telling people about your windfall. I think having a blog for it is cool and fun, and as one of your newest fans, entertaining to read.

I don't care too much for people asking you for money, though. At my lowest point, my son was ill and I was selling plasma to feed my kids but I didn't ask my ex husband's boss to borrow money after he hit the lottery. And God came through. I'm one of the richest people I know because my oldest came home safe from Iraq.
I like your blog because I can see a real person, not just someone who hit the lottery. I LOVE your poems and I'm really glad we both like steelcowboy so that we came across each other's blogs.
Take care and have a wonderful weekend. Oh, people say I look like Drew Barrymore and she and Brittany did a movie together...cool, huh?
take care.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Kiachu Shen Ku said...

Hi Windfall woman!
I like Target too! Just yesterday I was there. I made a comment about it in my "Nefarious Blog" at
http://360.yahoo.com/etk.rm
I tossed out my watches years ago! It made me much "saner" ;>
Peace,
Kiachu

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monica, thank you! I loved your comment. SteelCowboy is just the greatest! Everyone I've linked to on his blog has just great entries. Drew Barrymore huh? She's a cutie! Kiashu, good to see you back. I always feel "peaceful" when I see you've visited.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

I don't think the comment was meant to be a slam. The poem is great, but like you said, dark. So far what I've seen is the sunny side up version of the WFW. Maybe that was all they meant. :)
Lois Lane

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog sure gets quite a few comments. I'm going to read thru your posts and see why you are generating so much interest. Bye. Ms. California gold nuggets

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker