Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Story Behind The Ring and Junior Achievement

I received many inquiries about my former post, "The Ring." You should all know that I am not given to writing poetry even though I do love reading it! I seem to have been inspired lately. Not sure if this trend will continue. I digress. One of values instilled in me at any early age was community service. I've tried to think back on just how I got this value, and I have to say, I don't really know. I just knew and know now how important it is to give back. An opportunity presented itself for me to "teach Junior Achievement" and amazingly enough - at my old high school. It was interesting and thrilling to go back and wander the halls as a "corporate professional." I felt such incredible deja vu standing in front of a class where I had been an economics student. I was not really sure how I or the lessons would be received. I needn't have worried; the kids were incredibly responsive.

Inevitably, you develop attachments to children/teens that are special. In one instance, a special boy has attached himself to me. He is a mature, thoughtful, intelligent, sweet kid. It turns out that he, Walt, had desperately "loved" a girl, Martie. Apparently, this unrequited love had been the object of his affection for several years. Finally, she appeared to be reciprocating his feelings. She does not have a very happy homelife - suffers from depression, feelings of self-loathing, etc. At any rate, the two of them had been to the movies and mall in groups. Somehow they ended up in a jewelry store with the two of them looking at rings. Walt, in his typically generous way, bought a ring for Martie that she absolutely loved. She wore it every day, and his pride in seeing it on her hand was huge. Without warning, she split from Walt and began "going out with" a friend in Walt's group. It was a crushing blow. Martie could not seem to understand why her actions would hurt Walt so. (Unbelievable) The final blow for Walt was when she actually gave the ring to Walt's best friend (also her friend). Walt's best friend, Jay, gave the ring to HIS girlfriend, Melanie. (I won't even go there on how a best friend could do this.) Melanie was overjoyed with the ring - wearing it every day. You can just imagine how poor Walt felt. In a strange turn of events, Melanie, new to the school, became very attached to Walt. She would teasingly say to Jay that if she had met Walt first, she would have tried to be with him. Jay, sensing Melanie's attraction to Walt, broke up with her. Interestingly, Melanie continued to wear the ring. She told Walt that she liked him, and he (the honorable friend and gentleman that he is) said that he could not hurt his best friend by going out with her. They let some time go by, and Walt and Melanie were finally free to be together. Walt is very in love now as is Melanie. And Martie, she has tried in vain to get Walt's attention. But he's over her. He found the girl who truly appreciates him. Kenju was right - it is truly karma in action. So that's the story behind the ring.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

Oh wow, I can so see you writing a book here. The power and magic of that ring bringing the two right ones together...I can see it.

Hey, I'D buy it for sure!!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Lauri said...

The whole story is quite interesting! I was reading it with you being "I". It is so different knowing that you aren't! Good poem, good story!

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That shows what I know about poetry. I thought it was just making rhymes. But now I see there's a whole story behind this poem, and some lives behind that.

12:23 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

You tell it well, but drama like that can ONLY happen in High school don't you think. It's like a microwave for cooking emotional disasters.
I was cooked once or twice, and mabe put someone through a heartache also.
I was lame. Now I am just insane.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Great story! Now the poem makes more sense to me...I was also reading the "I" in it as being you.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hey Windfall Woman - great story....thanks for sharing. :)

4:48 PM  
Blogger phoenix said...

Great story and alot of irony there! I love it :)

7:02 PM  
Blogger Ruvym said...

Awesome story. It's the kind of thing movies are made of.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Julie Marsh said...

I love it. Not very often that karma comes full circle, so close and in such a short time. Thanks for the history.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

What a beautiful story.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker