Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Bank Statements, Checkbooks and Credit Reports


Yesterday I received my bank statement. Lordy, I still nearly faint every time I look at my balances. I don't write many checks anymore, because I don't have any bills to speak of. In fact, I can just pay everything off and what I can't pay off (like utilities, cable, etc.) I just arrange for automatic withdrawals so I am never late for a bill ever again. Getting a windfall sure does help your credit rating. My accountant told me that I should go to http://www.equifax.com and get a copy of my credit report. He also told me that I should mark it up so that he can correct anything that is wrong. He also said I should close any accounts I don't have anymore like Parisian's and Talbot's. I didn't know that open accounts with zero balances count against your credit rating.

It doesn't seem that long ago that I had a certain VISA that I was late twice on, and they raised my interest rates to 28.99%. I hate those people; they are highway robbers in my opinion. It is almost like they smell blood when you are having a rough time. The financial sharks circle. Those same sharks become your best friend when you have money. But I am like an elephant. I don't forget. Now that I have money you can't be my best friend if you weren't before. So buzz off you Johnny come lately friends/financial institutions. I am remembering those who stuck by me when I wasn't so well off. P.S. Here's a picture of my accountant. And yes, I watch him closely.

10 Comments:

Blogger DBFrank said...

I am not a fan of the CC companies, either. My love got into a bind because of her divorce; she pays the vultures every month, but because of her X missing payments, the interest got jacked, and fees, and all that. Now her payoff of the original $1500 he stuck her with is over $3000! Where is the justice for those who try to pay them back?
Glad you don't have the bill worries, I hate that :)

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steel, there is no justice in that. I don't know how some leaders of Corporate America lay their hands on their pillows at night and sleep peacefully. I couldn't -- knowing I was ripping off people. The sad thing is that it's the hardworking, middle to lower class folks working every day for their paychecks that get it stuck to them. It's not fair.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Lauri said...

Ughh.. We're trying to consolidate our credit on one card and get it paid off. But it takes so much time to get all that in order. I submitted the application and never heard back, don't have time to follow up, etc. I hate credit cards as well. And just this morning I was thinking about Christmas shopping, and how..."Well, I guess I could put some of it on the card." It's just an endless cycle!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

I am just so happy when I hear a story like yours. :)

I remember having problems when my son was sick...they found cancer cells in his lymph nodes. That year back and forth at the hospital was so rough on us financially. I didn't qualify for food stamps because I had an "asset"...my car, but I needed it to go back and forth to San Antonio to the oncologist. So I sold my plasma for grocery money.
Then I became the richest person I know. My son got better and defied the odds...so much so that next week he gets out of the Army! As a teen he was told he'd never have to worry about joining the service so he made it his goal. He went to Iraq. He volunteered for Afghanistan. And next week he comes home for good. :)

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the only way to do it: Pay those bills years in advance. That's what I'd do, if I could. Unfortunately, I'm still on a pay-as-you-go basis, but I can always dream...

1:51 PM  
Blogger thewriterslife said...

Eww...I hate credit card companies or any financial institution. I pay by cash from now on!

4:50 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

The credit card companies should realize that they are only backing people into a corner when they raise the rates and the minimum payments. People fall further and further behind and are driven into bankruptcy (although that is harder now).

5:39 PM  
Blogger phoenix said...

Been there, doing that and hoping that someday I can raise my head above water just long enough to take a breath. :) Hopefully soon! lol

At least I can say vicariously through a semi-free medium know someone that has!! ;)

7:46 AM  
Blogger Flubberwinkle said...

When I was very young I remember my father always muttering some profanity about our family's debts. Growing up with a tight (aka poor) family budget, I took an oath NEVER to reach out of my wallet’s limits and NEVER pay anything unless I had the cash/saved up for it. So far I’ve managed to keep away from credit cards and personal loans. Most of my friends, however, are taking out a loan to pay for a previous loan, transferring their credit debts to a new card etc. and the vicious cycle never ends…

If I’m ever lucky enough to win a lottery (I only buy four tickets for each family member on New Year’s Eve, so my chances are pretty slim), I would write out checks to those close to me, so that they could pay off their loans and credit cards, advising them to “never borrow or use plastic money” again while at the same time giving them a chance to start over with a clean financial slate. (A chance my father never got).
:-)

3:40 PM  
Blogger Julie Marsh said...

So glad that you are getting good advice and protecting yourself. I have friends like Steel's who have been completely devastated - financially and otherwise - by the aftermath of their divorces. Completely unfair.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker