Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

My Boss Held a Meeting But.......


Yesterday I was driving into the office when I happened to check my blackberry. Every Tuesday, my boss holds a team meeting (which is why I was going in). One of my compadres had sent an email cancelling the meeting. He is "acting" for our boss while he is on vacation this week. My first thought was darn, and I am all dressed up (hose, suit, heels). It occurred to me that I could run a few errands and still show my face, so I dropped by the dry cleaners and then made my "Target" run. I love Target at 8am. I can zip my cart through the aisles getting my stuff. Even with the windfall, I don't think I'll ever get over pinching pennies. Some people like Walmart; some like Target. Our Walmart is awful. It is in awful condition (they are remodeling it) and it always looks very disorganized. Our Target is sparkling and well stocked. Anyhow, why pay more when you don't have to.

A friend of mine borrowed my watch the other night because my watch matched her outfit better. I returned hers, but she didn't return mine. Lest you think we were exchanging Rolexes, we were not. They were Timexes! Anyhow, I had to have a watch and while I was disgruntled at having to buy a new watch -- it was a $35 Timex. Since I already have two black ones - running watches - I decided to get a brown one. This proved taxing for the Target folks at 8am to get in the "locked" jewelry thingies. Anyhow, I stood there thinking - the only place I have to go is the office. As I stood there, I suddenly remembered that our boss was not due to be out on Tuesday - he was supposed to be out Wed, Thurs and Fri. At any rate, I was too late to make it to any meeting now. I finished up my shopping and headed in the office.

My boss sits next to me, so when I saw him in there - I wasn't exactly surprised. I said, "I thought you going to be here. Did we have a meeting?" He said, "I don't know why he sent that email cancelling the meeting." He was very aggravated. I said, "I was headed here but got the message and decided to go to the cleaners and Target." LOL.....I didn't even hesitate to say that.

I headed to the restroom and my best girlfriend was right behind me. She was laughing so hard. She said she was in the office and kept walking by the conference room as our boss sat in there with no one there. She said she waved to him and kept walking back and forth. Finally, she said are you expecting people to show up for a meeting? He was upset and said yes! She told him about the email and he went ballistic!

LOL.......she and I were bent over LAUGHING. We could not stop. Poor man thought we had all just ignored his meeting! It was so funny! She said it was so funny listening to you - going on about the meeting being cancelled and you talking about your errands and Target! At that we burst into giggles again! Anyway, starting work with all those endorphins was BOUND to help me have a good day. I did!

P.S. I had a significant other who was determined to break my Timex habit. He bought me a Longines, Gucci, etc. watches. I always ended back up with my beloved Timex. I mean, can a Rolex have velcro and formfit to my wrist? Show the date AND the time? Plus, when I want to run splits around the office and time myself a Rolex can't do that. I need to buy some stock I think.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Lauri said...

I love watches. I have a Swiss Army that was a gift from my cousin. It is *the* perfect watch for me. I'd been eyeing it for about 3 years, and she gave it to me as a birthday/Christmas combo gift. I will wear it for years...

12:07 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Being in the medical field now, I've given up all nice watches. The nice ones scratch or get snagged on stuff or patients. I wash my hands constantly and leather won't hold up. I now have an Eeyore watch from Walmart (I do hate Walmart too, but sometimes find myself there anyway) but I had to replace the leather band with a flowery velcro band....also from Walmart. (evil place) It has cute little butterflies for the second hands, I'm a sucker for Eeyore.
I'm more of a Target or Kohl's person myself.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I've given up wearing a watch. I had a really pretty one with a leather band that my husband bought me... the crystal on the top cracked and I never had it replaced. I have another one that my dad got me with little diamonds around the face but it's too dressy to wear anywhere. Now I have a cell phone with the time and the clock in my car works... so I don't have the use for one. Although... there sure are some cute watches out there now.

I love Target too. My kids hate the Target stop because they know I can get "lost" in there. ;o)

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Timex too and have for as long as I can remember except for a cheap watch I once bought on the streets of Tijuana, but that's another story...,

9:13 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

the picture of the pointy haired bosss itting alone in a conference room is so DILBERT! maybe I miss the corporate world just a bit... naaaah!
I dont wear a watch, it makes some people wonder about me. but right now I know exactly what time it is. It is Fall, morning, a beautiful clear day, and time for work
Bless you

11:50 AM  
Blogger Julie Marsh said...

I am laughing my ass off at your boss. That sounds exactly like something that would happen to a former co-worker of mine - he's got that "don't bother to respect me because I don't know what I'd do with it anyway" kind of quality, and he was always completely oblivious to the fact that his direct reports (let alone the rest of us) couldn't stand him.

And I don't wear a watch. I can't stand wearing one, be it Rolex or Timex.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK I like running watches as much as the next person but there is a time and place for an expensive watch and the man that gives it to me gets mucho points! Not Rolex, too obvious a status symbol! Check out Piaget, Cartier and Breguet

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK.. I like a running watch as much as the next person but there is a time and place for a pricey watch and a man that gives me an expensive watch gets MUCHO points in my book. Not a Rolex,too obvious a status symbol. Check out a Piaget, Breguet or Cartier. Guaranteed to cure you of the Timex dependency(at least when you are not doing laps)

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A watch is meant to help us tell time, a piece of jewlry, a status symbol, etc. I've been through all of these and I guess I like the status symbol the best. . . I just wish I could afford one that has it! Old Baldy

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker