Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, August 24, 2006

You never know......


Yesterday I was in the grocery store madly shopping for ingredients for the dinner I was cooking for my mom. I needed some things from the deli (sigh) which is ALWAYS a wait. They were just finishing with one lady, and an older gentleman was waiting patiently and I was behind him. This other older lady just barged right in ahead of both of us. The next worker came up and asked who was next and I pointed to the gentleman and said, "he is." The older lady who had "cut" in line said, "Did I go ahead of you?" I said, "Yes, and that man was before me." I was infuriated beause I was in just as much of a hurry! She said, "Oh, I'm so sorry, my air conditioning just broke in my car and my husband is at home with a broken leg. I'm dreading getting back in that car." Well, I could certainly relate to the A/C being out in THIS 90 degree weather. I told her not to worry about it. I told her I was shopping for my mom because she had just had surgery. She said, "She's lucky to have you. My daughter lives far away and can't help." She moved her cart away, and after I got my stuff, I followed her into the produce section. I asked her if I could help her get her car to the shop. She said, "I think it just needs fleon." Poor thing ("fleon" instead of freon); I asked her where she was going and if I could help. She thanked me and said she was going to find a full service station. I told her where the closest one was. I thought about giving her my number and decided against it. With all of this stuff with my mom, I've wondered........what do people do who have no family? No friends? Who helps them? Who listens to them? Who cooks for them? Who sits in the waiting room for news from their surgery? Who cries from relief when they are going to be fine? Who holds their hand when they wake up? Who prays for them?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger David Edward said...

you are asking thr right questions, WFW, and that is a start.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WFW: that woman (the line crasher) and her hubby should have had more kids. I've got four and I have more help than I need. Nice of you to help out and all. Hope you got all the stuff done you needed to do for your momma. You say you are hot - tell me where in the U.S. of A. where it ain't hot ('cept of course North Dakota and up that way). Ole Gore would say it is "Global Warming" and while I have some dumb friends that laugh at that - I think he is right. Speaking of hot - I got to check on two cooling fans in a hen house (they were hot to the touch early this a.m.) See ya. Old Baldy

1:23 PM  
Blogger DBFrank said...

I cried because I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet....

7:50 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

ok confession is good for the soul, can I do it here? ( i will take that for a yes)
a man asked me for a ride from the market the other night, then he made the mistake of telling me that he had bought 15 gallons of water. I declined even though it was past ten pm and I knew it would be hard for him to get a ride. something inside said "no" and I follwed that instinct. I felt bad for about ten seconds.

11:07 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

I would love some days in the 90s. We'll have mostly triple digits until October.

You know folks can take care of themselves to some degree. Helping can be complicated. If you want to help somebody, do it.

My only concerns about helping folks are:
1. Can I afford to help? This includes things other than money.

2. What will really help? I don't want to enable destructive behavior but I do want to help.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Johnny Cash wrote the saddest song called Nobody..
This post reminded me of that.
You are so wonderful to offer your assistance with all you are going through yourself..
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

4:29 AM  
Blogger ardi k said...

I've been thinking about these things too lately. The blessings of family are special, as experienced at my mother's funeral earlier this month. Love begets love. So Glad to have two daughters to continue the eternal legacy.

11:08 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Yesterday I had a lady cut in front of me in line to buy a soda pop. I was waiting to buy a fruit leather to try to quiet my screaming baby. The baby was screaming and screaming, and I was there with the shopping cart and the stroller and a crying baby and two whiny preschoolers, and the lady cut in front of me because she was "just" going to buy a can of pop. I told her I was just buying one item too, for the baby, and she didn't budge.

Her daughter (who was probably about 8) pointed out to her that we were in line first but she did it anyway. I didn't say anything to her, but I was shocked.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's such a good question about who will take care of those who have nobody. One I've asked myself over the past 8 years as I've put my life on hold to care for my dad who passed away with cancer and the care of my handicapped mom. She is now on hospice as well and may no longer be with me this time next year. I never married and I have no children. I only have one older brother and we live very far apart and very different lives. I wonder some day what will happen for me if I ever need the help that my mom and dad have received from me. I can only hope since I've not been able to financially establish myself much beyond paycheck to paycheck with all the time it's taken for caregiving, that the universe will bless me with loving "extended" family and friends when my day comes or provide me with a windfall of my own to invest in my own care and maybe share with another. I have faith that all will be well. Blessings to you, trust you will do the right thing with yours! Follow your heart! :-)

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker