Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, March 30, 2006

I cried in front of the cable guy.........

Yesterday I had an appointment to convert all my cable boxes (yes, BOXES - don't ask how many TVs) to the new DVR service. (Remember I said I was taking back my Tivo?) So, the cable guy shows up yesterday. I take him upstairs. I notice his boots. I ask him, "Are those military boots?" He says, "Yes ma'am. I was a marine." He is really young. So I ask him, where you in Iraq? "Yes ma'am, three tours there."

Well,I happen to serve as a Soldiers' Angel. It is a program that Patti Patton-Bader established. She's the grandniece of General George Patton. You can help in many ways - serve on the ESquad sending emails, the Letter Writing Team, Adopt a Soldier, etc. I've done several of them, but I really enjoyed adopting a soldier. Here's the link if you want to investigate and/or help: http://www.soldiersangels.com. I've had several who are now home. I just got a new one.

So Cable Guy and I chatted about the program, and he says, "I couldn't have an angel." He goes on to explain that he served as a marine sniper. He said, "I told them I had to get out or I was going to go AWOL." He then showed me the left side of his face. He had a scar where he had been grazed in the head by a bullet and scrapnel. He said that he was on a vehicle with some other guys when they were told to jump. He was the only one to survive. He finished up, and I always tip service people when they come to my house. As he left, he turned to shake my hand and tell me to ask for him if I needed help again. I pressed some bills into his hand to say thank you.......and I could only croak out, "Thank you.......thank you for all you've done."

6 Comments:

Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Moving.

I recently posted about a couple of bloggers in Iraq.

I email a few folks over there. I love their positive attitude.

This kid mentioned that he had to quit. I hope nobody judges him harshly for that. Snipers have a tough tough job. You can only do it for a while. He served us well. I'm grateful. Saving little Kurdish children is the same as saving my own children to me. I take it very personally.

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bush should be impeached or at least censured for lying about why we went to Iraq and then continuing to change his story of why we are there. Why are we there? 2,300 dead and 16,000 wounded (some horribly so) and hundreds of billions of dollars spent and meanwhile our borders are as porous as a window screen. We are sure not there for our security because of that was the reason we would be investing that money in protecting our borders and ports. The Democrats roll over and play dead too! Sorry, the young marine story hit me wrong. Old Baldy

10:22 AM  
Blogger phoenix said...

Sometimes that problem is that we have lost our ability to cry. I Thank the almighty that you have not lost that wonderful emotion.

I wrote a poem about that very thing just a few days ago. Here is the link:
http://his-phoenix.blogspot.com/2006/03/sigh-gone-but-not-forgotten.html

Hugs sweety.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

That was very sweet of you.
I'm so proud of our troops.
With all due respect to Baldy up there...I think we had and have many reasons to be over there.
1. We stopped a homicidal Tyrant from committing more genocide
2. Bit by bit, we are stopping terrorists from having a home base.
3. Bit by bit, we are transforming a few countries into civil places to live again.
It takes awhile to restore peace to a nation that has known violence for so long. Pulling out now would just leave them vulnerable.
I've heard FIRSTHAND from Marine and Army soldier friends who have been there. We ARE doing great things over there. The PEOPLE ARE grateful for our help. Despite what the media would like us to think.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

This post comes at a difficult time as my very best friend leaves Tuesday for his second tour. He holds a part of my heart with him.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another memorable windfall moment.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker