Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, January 01, 2006

My first resolution


Happy New Year again y'all! Yesterday, I inadvertently stumbled upon my first real resolution for the new year and probably always. My mother raised me with lots of superstitions. (You can all laugh now!) New Year's has always been the most fright filled day of the year for me. First of all, you cannot - repeat - CANNOT wash clothes on New Year's. Dreadful dreadful luck. All Christmas stuff must be down and packed away or dire luck as well. Wash your hair on New Year's and you lose your love (I've always ignored this one). Eat greens for money (wait, I did that and did get the money last year but look how long THAT one took). Black-eyed peas and hog jawl for good luck. I usually make cornbread and a pork loin roast and delicious coleslaw. I make Hoppin' John and collard greens. All of this slaving for good luck. Then I am allowed to REST all day since I can't do laundry or clean up basically.

After "the theft," I've been really rattled. I was just so exhausted. Yesterday, I thought I am sick of running around like a chicken with my head chopped off and being so fearful about New Year's. I did my best to get ready for today but I thought I'm tired and I've been so busy......Guess how WFW spent her exciting New Year's Eve??? I went to bed around 10:30pm. I fell asleep and roused only slightly to hear fireworks. I thought "Happy 2006!" and promptly fell back asleep. I feel rested finally.......I've already washed three loads of clothes. I feel a teeny bit scared bucking the superstitions -- but I'm out there -- ready to take the plunge into normalcy. Please tell me I'm not going to mess up my whole year by bucking tradition......By the way, I chose this picture because I think I'm looking appropriately free AND defiant.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

zardoz says:

GOOD FOR YOU LITTLE ONE.

P.S.
About the picture thats not the only message youre gettin across.
Anyways if ya feel free that's just fine.I enjoy youre storytelling and youre spunk.
-----------zardoz

12:51 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

im washing a pair of 501's that are new so i can wear then to church.
Do I think God cares - yes I think God cares, but not about what jeans I wear.

my favorite blues line:
"If it wasnt for bad luck . . .
I wouldn't at all"

12:56 PM  
Blogger David said...

Happy New Year to you.

Just catching up after being away. Sorry to read about the theft, but I am always glad to see that you were not physically harmed. The emotional toll however is real and will be for a while. I wish you the best in getting over this unkind act of another.

2:36 PM  
Blogger phoenix said...

I never worry about the superstitions... if I did I would hide in a hole all day and that ain't to my liking :P

Happy New Years Chickie!!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I think luck charms only wok if you believe in them.
My mom used to make us eat black-eyed peas and cabbage every year. I've never really had a lucky year despite it.
Good for you!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

Defiant suits you. Have a very happy New Year.

7:20 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I'm with Zardoz, that 's not the only thing that pic says! LOL


Happy New Year, WW, I didn't eat greens or black-eyed peas today, or cabbage with coins in it either. Have I sealed my fate for 2006?

8:34 PM  
Blogger Cornbread said...

Hey Windfall!
Just got in a little while ago and it's already 11:30 pm new years day. Sorry to hear about the bad luck and getting robbed. I'm glad to see ya ina great mood for the new year! Glad to hear ya got some rest too!

11:41 PM  
Blogger ardi k said...

It's good to be free from all that, isn't it? Have a good year!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Grey Biker said...

I think you started it off great. If you are looking like that pic you are looking fine darlin.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well WFW, I am writing this sans anonymous (if I can remember my password and all that stuff - should have writ it down but alas didn't). Anywho, forget about them superstitions - I eat greens, blackeye peas, tomatoes and such most of the year and still have to gather eggs to keep the roof over the house. No matter I love my life and all. Old Baldy

11:28 AM  
Blogger Kitty said...

I had pasta and salad - what kind of luck will that bring me?

I have tons of laundry 'calling-my-name' today ... plus several errands that I need to run as well. I just don't want to go out into the pouring rain! I'm procrastinating, but I must do it at some point.

It sounds as if you rang in the New Year with traditions that are new to you - and something you can make your very own. Congrats! on branching out and finding your own 'voice' in your world!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Whew! Good thing I didn't start one of my resolutions yesterday of being better w/ my laundry! ;)

Happy New Year! Glad to hear you're in better spirits.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker