Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Thank you all.........


Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I mean it. I am overwhelmed at such beautiful responses. You wonderful friends in the blogosphere so far outweigh the "meanies" that I didn't want to stay away. I swear I wasn't trying to be a drama queen! (Although I do confess a penchant for tiaras!)

It's been a strange several days here ... almost surreal. The evening I posted that I would take a break after reading those comments and emails, I had spent seven hours enroute and/or on my feet volunteering at the ballet. It was my last volunteer day of the eight I've done in six weeks while working at my job frenzily and getting ready for Christmas, throwing my Girl Scout Gingerbread party and having two groups of friends and family to visit. I am and was pretty much exhausted - but in a very satisfied way. The last of my "company" left yesterday so a couple of us decided to go see "King Kong." I have never seen the original with Faye (sp?) Wraye/Raye (sp?) but this movie......well, it is pretty unbelievable! It is action packed and with a love story/triangle on top of it.

Anyhow, I tote around a pretty big handbag. You know, being a woman, I have to have "touch up" powder and lipstick, being a germophobe I have to have my antibacterial hand soap, a brush for fine, flyaway hair, my business cards for business, my wallet for the reason everyone else takes theirs, my cell phone and headpiece since I refuse to drive and hold a phone up to my ear, assorted pens and pencils because I am an office products affianciando, my high clearance security tag to get into my office, and room for snacks, drinks, etc. oh, and my Benadryl for that pesky allergy problem. I sat down at the movies (we were hurried) and placed my bag next to me in an empty chair, but close. I kept getting emails - and I was checking them for work and such so it wasn't as though I wasn't watching my bag. Also, I had my fleece over it.

Funny how you notice things when you are a people watcher! There was not a row directly behind me so I noted with interest as a rather tall, big boned woman with long, curly, wiry and unruly hair pulled back sat down two seats away from my handbag. She had on corduroy pants and a heavy sweater -- last year's or the year before's look. She kept her face turned away from me somehow. At points, I glanced at her during the movie and wondered what brought her to a theater alone (not that that's bad). I actually thanked God that I was there with some folks I really cared about. During the last 20 minutes, (the most exciting part), she got up and left and I marveled briefly at how someone could leave then! When the movie was over, I reached over for my bag and it had been LODGED down - way down in the seat - and my fleece had been moved. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but it took three of us to dislodge it and check to see if anything had dropped out. I had driven so we got to the car, and something just told me to look inside. My wallet was GONE! My friends RAN back inside the theatre -- NOTHING. Then went to the box office and there was my wallet AND my CHECKBOOK (which I hadn't noticed was missing!) Supposedly, one of the ushers turned it in at the box office. I was starting to drive away and thought he should be rewarded! And I looked inside my wallet because I was carrying quite a bit of cash and I was CLEANED OUT. No money. No $100 bill from my dad. All gone. I was dumbfounded. It so happened that there was a police officer in the theatre.

He told me to be glad it was just money (I was glad about that) and that I would need to go to the police station to fill out a report. Which I did. He told me to call all my credit card companies and put a fraud alert on them. Well, a fraud alert does nothing come to find out. I had to cancel EVERY ONE of my cards! ALL. Luckily, I had dropped my debit card down in my bag so she didn't have access to that.

It's just really creepy to think someone with those evil intentions was literally right in my FACE and by my friends. My friends think I'm crazy but after we left the station and went to dinner, I was musing over what kind of woman would do this? How desperate was she? One of my friends was like, "Oh come on WFW, she's evil and probably on drugs." I couldn't help thinking - what if she wasn't? What if her kids were hungry? What if she had a sick child? Was she feeling guilty then after stealing from me? How scared must she have been to be so bold to try something like that? She had to be afraid of getting caught. I couldn't shake the feeling. I also couldn't shake the feeling of wondering what would have happened if I had looked over and caught her red handed with my wallet and checkbook in my hands? Would I have seen evil or fear? At that point, I broke down and cried and cried in my napkin at TGI Friday's. I cried for all the people who are desperate, for all the people who are afraid, and for those people who have no conscience.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger DBFrank said...

Bummer about the stolen goods!
Good that you are back though :)
Happy New Year

10:54 AM  
Blogger phoenix said...

WW glad you are back. I am so sorry that you had to go through all that. She had to be desperate though... that is not a usual crime for a woman. Hungry kids or just hunger will do that to some I guess.

I hope your New Year is much much better. Enjoy yourself, relax and just have fun. Hugsssss and Happy New Year!!

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WW: you sure started my "almost" new year off right - being as how you decided to come back on line and share your experiences with us. Don't know what I would have done if'n I couldn't read your blog each day. Real sorry to hear about your misadventure. No excuses for stealing - if she needed food there are food banks out there. If she needed help - there are orgs. like Salvation Army and others where she could get help. She (if she took the wallet) is a bad person - don't shed no tears for bad folks - they don't deserve them - save them for the refugees in Darfur who are being persecuted and murdered. Old Baldy is getting too heavy here, particularly on New Year's Eve, so lets just end it with Best of New Year's wishes for you and yours. Old Baldy

11:34 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Glad to see you back!
I'm sorry that happened to you. Who knows why people do things like that, but it does sound as if she were desparate.
When I lived in Louisiana, I stopped at the gym to work out. (HAHAHA, no really, I did) I tucked my purse under the carseat thinking it would be safe. Well apparently someone saw me do it, my car window was smashed when I got back, my purse was gone.

On the other hand, In the solo movie watcher's defense, I often go to movies alone. I love them and must take the opportunity to see them whenever I get a babysitter. My friends can't always join me so I just go alone. If I didn't, I would have to see all these blockbusters at home on my crappy TV. :)

12:01 PM  
Blogger Lauri said...

I hope she was stealing because she needed it, not for the thrill of it. You never can know what someone's intentions are - whether it's making a comment on a blog, having roses delivered to your hotel room...or stealing your cash! I'm glad that everything is taken care of and that you're okay, but mostly, like you, I find it terribly interesting, the risk she took.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that happened to you, but glad that she didn't get the checkcard. On the surface, her actions appear to be fairly premeditated and your empathetic response, generous. Good for you, WW. It must be very unpleasant to be in her position, regardless of the manner in which she attained it.

Happy New Year, darlin'.

4:32 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

if you look over and someone has their hand in your BIG BAG, you grab them by the throat, push then to the ground and sit on them until the swat team arrives. let the cops worry about motive. there are so many otherways for people to get help, thieves have usually stolen from those who might have otherwise helped them. ( im in a foul mood, can you tell)
Happy new year!

6:02 PM  
Blogger echotig said...

First of all, I'm sorry that something like that happened to you!

But lets see, this woman made the investment of buying a ticket for the movie right? She sized you up, decided that you looked like a good target, then proceeded to sneak your wallet away from you. Then she left.

In my experience, thats seldom an act of desperation. Thats calculated. And most people don't steal for the first time because of hard times. Life doesn't have to get bad for people to steal. Either they are capable of it or they aren't.

Les Mis was a good book, but wasn't set in the 21st century America.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Glad to see that you haven't given up on blogging... I was worried. Sorry for your inconvenience, what a pain to have to cancel all of your cards!

Happy New Year!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Grey Biker said...

Unfortunately thieves go to places like that just to steal. From her actions you mentioned that was her only purpose there. I would doubt she was hungry. Probably just a plain thief.

Hoping you have a much better 2006

7:07 PM  
Blogger momzilla said...

Glad that you decided to still post. Sorry to hear that someone took your stuff. It takes all kinds to make this world go round and I think that you have a generous heart. May the new year be very bright for you because from what I have read, you are a bright spot in many people's lives...

10:12 PM  
Blogger Julie Marsh said...

WFW, I'm glad you have decided to return. I hadn't visited in a few days, and I'm really sorry that you've been upset by comments/e-mails. Unfortunately, I think it's an inevitable part of the blogosphere, especially when you are open and honest about what you think and believe. Someone is bound to disagree and not be particularly nice in expressing that disagreement.

I'm really sorry about your wallet too. My wallet was stolen out of my purse when I was dropping Tacy off at day care two years ago. I was more upset at the breach of trust (I truly have NO idea who did it, and I can't even point to any suspects) than the material loss.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Awww, Sweetie, what a sad commentary on the breach of trust in a movie theatre - I'm so sorry that you were violated in that manner.

Let me join everyone else in saying ... I'm so glad you're back! I couldn't bear the thought of not being able to check in to see how things are going with you.

All the best to you and yours in the New Year, Darlin'!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker