Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Party Time and Down Time

I'm hosting Belle (ballet/toe shoe girl) and her friends (my Girl Scout Troop) at my house for a Gingerbread House decorating party today from 2pm - 4pm. This is the third year in a row that I've hosted this party. My local bakery makes these huge premade gingerbread houses, and the girls decorate them using royal icing, gumdrops, M&Ms, peppermint canes, chocolate bars, chocolate kisses, etc. I always take a picture of each girl with her house. They are sooo inventive! We used to pick them up from school, serve lunch and decorate the houses (4 hours)! While it was fun, it was a bit hard. This year, the party is two hours; and I'm serving mini quiches, cheese and crackers, cookies, sodas and hot chocolate! This party should be easier!

You know, at one point yesterday, I thought I'm NEVER going to be ready for this. I honestly felt like calling them all and saying I was sick and then crawling in the bed with my covers up! It was all I could do to push through that wall and not give up. I've heard from some of you and know that you're having some really rough times. If I could be so bold as to offer some tips on coping with sadness/anxiety/overwhelmedness (not a word).

1. Alcoholics take it day by day. Sometimes I take life hour by hour. Sometimes minute by minute. It seems to help me through it.

2. I count my blessings. How many things do I have to be grateful for in place of all the things that are wrong?

3. I treat myself - a bubble bath, a good cry (don't underestimate it), fresh air outside (bracing is good), junk food.

4. Read a good book. That always transports me to another world. I stay away from depressing books during this period.

5. Make sure you are getting enough rest. Sleep deprivation will mess with you!

6. Do one task you hate. You are in a bad mood already - why not do something you dread and hate? Then you are happy because you accomplished something you dread and hate!

7. Go out and do something for someone else. Smile at a stranger. Return an empty grocery cart to the bin. One good turn can sometimes do wonders for the spirit and heart.

I've already cheered MYSELF up now! Hang in there you special people, and remember YOUR "reason for the season."

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

zardoz says:
I HEAR YA SISTER
the 7 points you
you wrote
i'll
make 'em into
stick'em posters.
by the way last book
i read was "digital fortress"
by D.BROWN. didnt carry me real far
by he writes excitingly enough
for my tastes to stay up all night to finish. s0 ill back ya up on point 4 and 1 , 2 ,3, and 5, 6 , 7,
-------------------zardoz

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you stuck with it and finished the party. There's a lot to be said for putting one's head down and just pushing through. Your advice is good. Serenity has never been about being calm when things are going well. Achieving it when things are going badly is the real trick. Practice, practice, practice. *sigh*

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All good advice, especially points # 1-7.

9:54 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

good ideas
add: read a fun blog!
what you do for those girls will live on long after the gingerbread houses are gone

10:48 AM  
Blogger Grey Biker said...

Good advice. I'm sure they will treasure your hard work.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Lauri said...

Great advice.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Kitty said...

It is hard at times - when the only thing you want to do is lock yourself away from the rest of the world . . . but, sometimes you can't (or shouldn't).

The party sounds like such a treat for the girls - something they'll remember for such a long time to come. Your giving nature is such a blessing, and one that these girls will learn much from experiencing, far beyond the obvious fun and friendship.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

As overwhelming as it can be, a party like that will leave a smile on your face. I'm smiling just thinking of how much fun you'll have. Enjoy!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to do two of the points pronto. I'm going out and clean the chicken coop. (don't like it obvously -particularly 'cause I have a rooster who can be kinda ornery at times and the smell is not so hot either. Then, I'm going to take a nap.

Real nice of you to do the gingerbread thing and all. I agree with David, those kids' thoughts about the party will live beyond the houses. Those kids are mighty lucky to have you doing all of this. I intend to finish reading Truman"s (the former prez) papers. Old Baldy

1:25 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Very wise advice, and ones I follow everyday.
Hope the party was fun! I had a similar one yesterday.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Flubberwinkle said...

Copied, printed, pinned up on bulletin board! Title: Windfall Woman's Guide to Everyday Survival. Thanks.
:-)
(5 more and we could make a 12 month 2006 calendar!)

5:38 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

it may be time for me to take the bubble bath

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker