Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My Recipe for Red Beans and Rice

Okie Dokie........I have been quite flattered at the requests for my recipe for Red Beans and Rice. I did make it Sunday night; I love it. It's fairly easy to make and so delicious!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Beans and Rice

4-6 cans RED beans ( try to get real red beans not red kidney)
*Or if you use dried beans 1lb of dried beans that have been soaked overnight

2 lbs.smoked Sausage(preferably Cajun type but Hillshire’s will work)

1 Large Onion chopped

1 bunch green onions chopped-greens and whites

1 Bell Pepper chopped

¾ cup ketchup or 1 can Rotel tomatoes

1/8 c worchestershire sauce

1/8c soy sauce

3 cloves garlic minced

3c Hot water(more can be added if needed)

½ tsp cavender’s seasoning(optional)

½ tsp garlic salt½ tsp lemon pepper or regular pepper

1 Tbs Cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere’s)

1 Tbs Roux( this is optional if you do not have any roux but if you do use it!)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Put all ingredients together in a very large kettle or deep pot.

Mix well and stir often while cooking, do not let beans stick and scorch. When using dried beans , when they get soft, take some out and mash them up and then put them back in to help make it smooth.

Cook on low medium heat for at least 1 hour. I(f using dried beans, it will take much longer till beans are soft about 3 hrs).

The longer it is cooked the more flavor it has. More water can be added during cooking if it becomes too thick.

Serve over hot cooked rice.

**Check labels on canned red beans. You do not want the red beans that contain sugars or corn syrup—some brands are sweet, and you do not want sweet beans. For dried red beans, Goya usually carries good red beans. IF using dried beans it normally takes more water to cook- start out with enough water to just cover the beans.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Lauri said...

I had red beans and rice last night. Although, they only took 25 minutes because they were Tony ChacHere's out of the box!

Sounds like a great recipe. My dad was Cajun...would have loved it!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Nate said...

Ok, I'm hungry now. Really hungry! Your recipe sounds perfect.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I'm not usually a RB & R kinda gal but that sounds pretty yummy.
I may have to try that one.
:)

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ihave a friend from New Orleans (or should I say was from N.O.) and I'm going to share this receipe with her. I really like red beans and rice and your recipe looks really good. I agree about avoiding those with sugar (corn sugar or otherwise). Have to clean out the chicken coop today. Very unpleasant job but nothing like fresh eggs from chickens that walk on the ground and eat healthy grains. Lots of snow last night. Very slippery. Glad to see you moving your boat out to sea and forgetting about your grief. Old Baldy

2:09 PM  
Blogger Julie Marsh said...

Thanks WW! I will get the ingredients on our next grocery run. Zatarain's just ain't cuttin' it.

7:01 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

red beans - a good winter time tummy filler - I will be using this recipe, for certain.

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker