Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Cleaning up pays......OFF!

I'm not keeping you guys in suspense any longer. My cable internet connection went out yesterday or I would have posted sooner. GRRRR.... It's bad to depend on something like that, isn't it?

Well, I've been cleaning up as I much as I have time for since I was humiliated when the decorator came in and went through my closets. I hadn't realized how much junk I have. I have been pretty relentless in tossing that junk too.

Anyhow, I found a small cedar box in one of my boxes. Kneeling, I reflected on how I had come to have it. I remembered that as a child my parents had taken me to North Carolina along with my grandparents to see a show called "Unto These Hills." The show was cancelled due to a tremendous thunderstorm. On the way out of town, we stopped at a gift shop where my grandfather had me "pick out" a present. I picked this cedar box. At the time, I remember him asking me why I chose it, and I told him that it reminded me of my grandmother and him because they had cedar chests in several places in their house.

It had been a long time since I had seen it. I opened it to smell inside......I love the smell of cedar and nestled in the tiny chest were cotton balls. I lifted the cotton balls off and found all of these old coins inside. That's when I remembered. My granddaddy had called me into his room, opened a drawer and filled my box with all these old coins. He said, "Now, there is something to fill your little hope chest."

I didn't even remember the chest or the coins. As I took them out and looked at them, I didn't even recognize them at all! I called the attorney, who has become one of my best friends, and he had me bring them over. His eyes widened (apparently he is a big coin collector - due to his history as an Eagle Scout and working on the coin badge) and I thought he was going to pass out as he leaned back in his chair. Apparently, these coins are worth THOUSANDS or even more a piece; and I have a whole "tiny hope chest" full of them!

My attorney insisted on driving me himself, in of course, his black Lexus, sunroof, XM radio, etc. etc. straight to the bank. My, those cars do have a nice ride. We went to my safety deposit box and immediately deposited them for safekeeping. He went on and on about getting them insured, but I was barely paying attention. My thoughts kept drifting back to my grandfather. Did he know what those coins were worth? And if so, why did I get them? I certainly wasn't his favorite. My other cousins loved riding in his truck, picking butterbeans and all that. I stayed back at the house with my grandmother, playing duets on the piano and organ, singing, and following her all around as she supervised the house. I was my grandmother's baby. What made him do it?

16 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Are you kidding us? Wow what a find but much more importantly was a great, great memory.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, I am NOT kidding. It is a real mystery and a great memory.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zardoz says :
enjoy the memorys.
but
all the money
was the recipe fer them beans.
-------------------------zardoz

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the windfall to which you referred? Maybe not, but it's certainly a windfall in terms of memories, if that's the right word...

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Z, try the recipe! Snake, yes, this was the windfall I referred to yesterday. Lilly, let me know what happens!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

What made him do it? You are his grandbaby. That's all he needed to love you. Whether you rode in the truck or stayed in the kitchen, you are special because you're family. And what better gift to give than an unexpected one. From reading your posts, I know you understand that.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Flubberwinkle said...

What a wonderful treasure to "unearth" (both material and emotional)... all right there in that little box forgotten in your closet! Your grandfather was probably touched by your strong connection with your grandmother and maybe his way of "thanking you" for loving her as much as he did.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way cool. Your Grandfather sounds wise and sweet. He knew you would take care of them.

12:07 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

I don't know if I could cash those in or not. I might be able to keep a favorite. I just don't know if I could get my head around the sentiment.

3:50 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Maybe you were more of his favorite than you knew! How nice to find out they are worth something.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

How special. He probably knew you would be the type to cherish and keep them.
Maybe the butterbean types would've stuck them in a vending machine.
Grand-daddies are funny that way.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Grey Biker said...

Like I say, windfalls just seem to find you when you are not looking for one. A treasure indeed.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Cornbread said...

WFW, Thank you for sharing your joy with everyone. If it were me, I would keep the coins and the memory since you don't need the profit from selling them. If you need the money, that's a different story. You know what is best for you.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Kiachu Shen Ku said...

Be Frugal
In leading people and serving heaven
it is best to be frugal.
Being frugal is to be prepared from the start.
Being prepared from the start is to build up power.
By building up power nothing is impossible.
If nothing is impossible, then there are no limits.
Those without limits are capable of leading a country.
Those with maternal leadership can long endure.
This is to be deeply rooted in a firm foundation,
the way of long life and eternal vision.
Peace,
Kiachu

10:33 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Thank you for sharing some very special memories with us Windfall. You are blessed in so many ways and your granddad saw it many years ago. Always hold tight to this and allow it to be a learning experience for you in many ways. You are intelligent and it was seen years ago when you were just a small little one.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Ruvym said...

I read your story and started having visions for a movie. Good stuff. It also reminded me of how that'll never happen for me. Why? Because when my family came over from the USSR, everything was left behind. Before that, everything my family ever had (except some jewelry pieces) were lost in WWII. The little bit of stuff my family actually brought here (again jewelry) my greatgrandmother lost on a beach in CA back in the late 70s; random I know. So no finding buried treasures for me :-(

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker