Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, June 19, 2006

Cooking, Healing and the Mountains

Ah........I told you all that I was going to start enjoying life more. I took a road ride up for a surprise visit to Miss Belle at ballet camp. She was so excited to see me that she ran out of the dorm door and locked herself out! She got someone to let her in for her keys and meal card, but she said, "You can take me to lunch if you like." Of course I wanted to! Being in a small town on a Sunday, there were not many options. We settled on a Zaxby's (my first time there). It was absolutely perfect. We had limited time, and the food was good. She was glad to see someone from home, and her parents are coming to see her later. She had been pretty upset because someone had taken all of the money her parents had sent to her ($100!). Now this is where a windfall comes in really good. I was able to give her the money back.

On my trip up, I noticed various vegetable/fruit stands. My granddaddy was a farmer, so I am a sucker for fresh stuff. I stopped off at one place and bought some peach preserves, silver queen corn, fresh tomatoes and peaches. While heading home, I saw a sign "mountain strawberries." Of course, I HAD to stop. I bought MORE tomatoes and some of those tiny strawberries. I decided on making supper for a friend who appreciates good Southern cooking. I made my famous cornbread, cooked the corn, sliced the fresh tomatoes and chopped the strawberries after making a fresh peach pie. It was all pretty good. In fact, you know something's pretty ok when your guest asks for a second piece of pie. I'm feeling better.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger phoenix said...

Ok, share your recipe? :) Glad you are feeling better! Hugssssssss

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like a road trip and some good fresh food to lift the spirits! You're making me want to head out to points north, WFW! I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm sure Miss Belle is too! :)

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WFW did you see any sourwood honey at that fruit stand? We've got it up here at BC (not Boston College - Bryson City)but there are a lot of frauds out there that claim it is sourwood but believe me it ain't often the real stuff. Did you say peach pie -- oh my, oh my. Those are like letters from home. I'm sure everyone enjoyed the food. Old Baldy

4:03 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Now you are talking my kind of language---good food---fresh vegetables and fresh fruit. :)

It is great to know you are feeling so much better and was able to enjoy a short trip.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

yummy yummy yummy! all of it sounds so good! i love fruit stands too! always the best stuff... and the veggie stands too!

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker