Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, October 14, 2005

Jessica Simpson's Shawl and My Best Work Friend

I did it. Took the plunge. I finally did something for someone outside the family straight from the windfall's coffers. While I've been able to do some things for people I don't know, I've been a bit nervous to venture into the realm of doing things for people I do know. Gotta stay relatively anonymous you know.

So.......it may sound a little juvenile, but I have a best friend at work. She is just a few years older than I am, so she is my "go to" friend for all kinds of questions. A very strikingly attractive woman who is a fashion plate, she has those sultry Argentinian looks (obviously my diametric opposite) and just happens to have a very yummy husband. I know this because one day I was at her desk and happened to pick up a picture on her sideboard. I glanced at it and then did a double take. "My God, is this your husband?" I murmured. She looked sharply at me and said, "Yes, that's him." I said, "You never told me how gorgeous he is." She laughed. She is the one friend I have that we can actually talk about......well, things.

I digress. Around Thanksgiving last year, she had made a trip to Argentina and returned with the most gorgeous shawls. I absolutely fell in love with a maize colored one not realizing I had selected the exact shawl Jessica Simpson has on in this picture from her MTV Show, The Newlyweds! I HAD to have it. Had to. Suddenly, I had turned into a weird MTV groupie. And my girlfriend -- she understood. Turns out the Argentinian knitter, weaver, whatever she was, had made Jessica's shawl too. My shawl was famous! Jessica and I were "sisters in the shawl." My girlfriend would not let me pay full price; in fact, she GAVE it to me -- said she'd make it up on the other ones she sold. But, she said, there's just ONE condition. You have to promise me that you will make brownies with it on -- just like Jessica does on the show! She was laughing (we are constantly laughing) and since she had thrown down the gauntlet -- by God, I made those brownies -- WITH the shawl on too! I called her while I was doing it, and she said put your webcam on -- I don't believe it. I'm like WEBCAM? I don't have a webcam. Then she said.....ah well, a webcam can be fun for all sorts of things. At which, I bent double laughing. She is such a nut.

By now, I'm sure you've guessed that she had to be at the top of my list for "reward." I decided because we don't have enough time together, and we have so much fun that a "spa day" was in order. Since I couldn't tell her about the windfall (at least yet anyway), I told her I won a contest -- a spa day for two at our local spa. Lord, it is going to be heavenly. We're starting out the morning with a hot stone massage. They serve cold water with crisp cucumbers in it for cleansing the system. I just love that water. I know; I'm nuts. And I know -- I can make that spa water and keep it right in my own refrigerator. Anyhow, next we will have full body sea scrubs, then a delicious, catered lunch. After lunch, we're having facials, manicures and pedicures. I am really looking forward to it. She thinks I am really lucky. She's right.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH man....now here I am trying to be anonymous and you've found out I'm looking for a private road. DRATS. Who ratted me out????

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Windfall -- Your life sounds like (and perhaps ought to be) a reality TV show. (By the way, blogger.com has a way to screen spam comments like the above.)

10:46 AM  
Blogger Lauri said...

WW - will you be my best friend?

I would DIE to be able to do those little things for my family and friends. Amazing.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snake, I know about the Spam screeners. I'm going to wait to see if they get really annoying. I find it amusing to respond to them. Lauri, c'mon. I need all the friends I can get. TGIF!

10:52 AM  
Blogger DBFrank said...

Doing for others is a great thing!

12:07 PM  
Blogger ipodmomma said...

a friend here did a similiar kind of thing for me on my b-day a few years back... wow! what a day! we went in together and had a day full of treats (and treaments). my favorite bit was the dry float- getting a body scrub, then wrapped in hot towels and left to sleep on a bed that was then filled with water... it was really fabulous...

that was heaven!

have a good time... :)))

mollie

2:36 PM  
Blogger Julie Marsh said...

That is fantastic. What a great idea and such a clever way of packaging it.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Hey! thanks for commenting on my blog today. Feel free to drop by whenever.

I was checking out your blog. Very interesting life you have going. Sounds like you are having fun too.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh my gosh! What a cool blog! By the way...I think you should buy an RV and hit the road, like us. If not, head to Paris. It's fabulous!

-The Bag-it tour gal

8:15 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I'd love a day at the spa like that. Once upon a time, I went to the Greenbrier Resort and had several spa experiences; a full body massage and a facial. It was heavenly. ENJOY! It is so nice of you to take your work friend.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

What a sweet idea! I like doing things like that for my mom. Last year my sister and I gave her a mini-makeover complete with massage, hair, nails, etc. This year my mom and I went to lunch, had pedicures and went shopping. So much fun!

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker