Windfall Woman

Life and times of an older Brittany Murphy look-a-like still working as a sales executive after experiencing a life changing windfall a year or so ago

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, March 23, 2007

Rear Window


Last night, I was lounging, watching my favorite show, Grey's Anatomy, when I heard a strange noise. Turning the volume to mute, I sat up and heard crying. My neighbors next door have several young children, so I presumed it was one of them. For some reason, I got up and went to my bathroom window. The crying was loud. I opened the window expecting to hear the baby crying to my right. Instead, the crying was coming from another house in the back. I ran downstairs out to the deck and opened the door. Yes, the crying was in the back and the house adjacent to mine. It was indeed a baby - more like a toddler - crying. He/she was outside! In the dark! On the deck! Alone! As I stood outside trying to grasp what was happening, someone, a woman, appeared at the sliding glass door where the toddler (a boy I think) was facing and crying and snatched him inside. I heard her voice, "See what you've done," she said. I stood there frozen. What had I seen? Was this right? In a split second, I knew what I had to do. Call the police. I couldn't take the chance. Thirty minutes later a policeman showed up at my door. I explained what happened and showed him the house. The house was now dark. Soon after the policeman left, I saw the downstairs lights go on in the house. Next, the upstairs lights went on. I relaxed. He must have gone upstairs to check on the baby. I never heard sirens. I never heard an ambulance. It was hard sleeping. I figure there had to be two houses having a hard time sleeping. I wondered if I had done the right thing. Last night I was sure. This morning I'm still sure. Something wasn't right.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger momzilla said...

More people should get involved: I rememger when my ex came home one day and he was upset. Long story short he was an officer and he arrested a 17 year old.He wanted the state worker to take charge of the young man and the state worker wanted the man to choose where he would go. The choices were: take your chances with the system and maybe go to jail or go to a foster home.The state person would not accept responsibility of the boy and tell him he had to go to a foster home. So the boy took his chances and unfortunately he ended up in jail. My ex was sooo angry at the state worker, because the young man had a better chance of changing his life if he didn't go to jail. (He ended up in jail as and adult with all sorts of criminals) Sorry I tried to make it short. Viv

10:05 AM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Don't hold your breath. You probably won't ever find out if you helped or just meddled. Some things just stay a mystery.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Lauri said...

I agree that you probably will never know. But you'll also never know if that one phone call, and the "scare" from the police, was the turning point and just the "lightbulb" she needed to make a change.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, WFW. That takes courage. It's easier to do nothing. There's a quote by Edmund Burke that goes "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to stand and do nothing."

Not to change gears, but I've just started watching "Grey's Anatomy" the past few weeks, & I'm hooked. I haven't really gotten into the reality or star-maker shows, but G.A. is fantastic. It's like a soap opera without the shame. :)

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regardless of whether you ever find out what happened or not, you followed your gut and should be commended! Good job! I would have done the same thing. At least you helped to avoid something bad that MIGHT have happened. You should always trust your gut.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I am glad you called. I think you did the right thing. In those situations it is always better to react and do something. If you are wrong no big deal but if you are right you very well may have saved a life.
I am proud of you for making that call.
Hugssssssss

8:05 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

What a frightening thing to witness. No doubt the wondering will stick with you for awhile. At least you did something; as previously stated, many people just turn away. (Which in many cases I'm not opposed to...but with children? I tend to get involved.)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Heather B said...

Girl you did the right thing! I cant believe you witnessed such a thing.

1st reactions are usually correct!

11:55 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

i think it is better to be safe in a situation like that, I commend you!
WHO are these people who are supposed to be raising up the next generation???? yikes!

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker